Time machine backups fail on new Toshiba drive

I did not develop this solution on my own. I found it in the Apple discussion forums, specifically this thread. Here are the details.

I purchased a new external drive, the Toshiba Canivo Basics 1.5TB model number  HDTB115XK3BA at Best Buy. I then follow the directions here to copy my old backup to the new drive. I went to back it up after the transfer and it immediately failed. The transfer had completed while I was at work so it had been 6+ hours since the transfer completed. That was plenty of time for the new hard drive to go to sleep. Turns out this is a habit of Toshiba drives from what I've been reading. I unchecked the option Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible in System Preferences/Engergy Saver and rebooted but that didn't fix the problem. I then came across a post about creating a crontab job to touch a file every minute to keep the drive away. Brilliant. So I now have the following crontab job that runs as the user I log in with every day.

* * * * * touch /Volumes/BackupDisk/test.txt

So far that seems to have done the trick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Database, schema, and table sizes in Greenplum

Greenplum update with multiple tables

Show running queries on Postgresql/Greenplum