Flash bios Dell Latitude E4300 running Fedora 17

I did not figure this out on my own. I cobbled together information from a few sources. Run the first six steps from here (listed below). To get my new menu item to show up upon boot, so I could actually flash the bios, I started with 3.2 here. I simply added the menuentry {} section listed in step 2 below. I then ran grub2-makeconfig.
  1. Get the bios update from Dell (exe file)
  2. Get biosdisk from the Dell projects site[1]
  3. Get "memdisk" (Fedora: "syslinux" package)
  4. modify the biosdisk script, set the "baseDir" variable (first line after the comments) to the directory to which you extracted the biosdisk archive. The other option is to copy dosdisk.img to the default location ("/usr/share/biosdisk").
  5. Create a bootdisk as root: "./biosdisk mkimage <exe filename>"
  6. After the last step there should be a img file in /tmp (e.g. "E4300A24.img") which contains the bios flasher program. Move that file to /boot.
  7. As root, cp /boot/grub2/grub /boot/grub2/grub.ORIG
  8. Copy memdisk to /boot: cp /usr/share/syslinux/memdisk /boot
  9. Edit /etc/grub.d/40_custom add
    menuentry 'Dell Bios Update A24'{
     linux16 /memdisk
     initrd16 /E4300A24.img
    }
  10. grub2-makeconfig -f /boot/grub2/grub
Reboot. You should have a menu option 'Dell Bios Update A24'. Select that and press enter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Database, schema, and table sizes in Greenplum

Greenplum update with multiple tables

Show running queries on Postgresql/Greenplum