FTP and OS X

Just ran into something I haven't seen before. I was attempting to upload information to an ftp site. I opened Finder, entered ftp://sitename, and a connection was made and a new finder window opened. Tried to rsync in a terminal over to the /Volume/sitename but was told it was read-only. Same result when dragging and dropping in Finder.
Ran ftp sitename from a Terminal and it all worked. I was able to put files on the server.
Guess I need to lookup up and figure out what in the heck Finder does different than command line ftp.

UPDATE: Ok, after some searching I learned Finder mounts FTP as read-only. Don't know why but at least I now know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Database, schema, and table sizes in Greenplum

Greenplum update with multiple tables

Show running queries on Postgresql/Greenplum